Davenport University helps ease the transition from community college

Students attending community college with aspirations of transferring to a four-year institution can be intimidated at the thought of the transfer process, but at Davenport University, it can take as little as two weeks.

Jamarcus Wiggins, Davenport’s assistant director of adult and transfer admissions, said the transfer process isn’t as daunting as some may think and is completed in four easy steps: meet with an admissions representative, apply to Davenport, apply for financial aid and meet with an advisor to schedule classes.

“Our goal is to make the transfer process from a community college as smooth and easy as possible,” said Wiggins.

While the length of the transfer process does vary in each case, Wiggins said it is not uncommon for a student to go from applying to being enrolled in as little as two weeks.

Wiggins offers two very important pieces of advice to students who are thinking of transferring to Davenport from a community college. First, he said it is important for students to put forth their very best effort while at the community college because the higher their GPA when transferring, the larger their transfer scholarship will be.

His second piece of advice is for students to meet with one of Davenport’s transfer admissions representatives as soon as possible, even as early as their first semester of community college. A Davenport transfer admissions representative will create a transfer plan for the student to maximize the number of credits that will transfer to Davenport. Once the student fulfills their course requirements at the community college and is ready to transfer, the admissions representative will guide them through the entire application and enrollment process.

“Davenport’s transfer team supports our students throughout the entire transfer process and will help ensure a smooth and efficient transition to Davenport,” said Wiggins.

Transfer successes

Genevieve Swan was in the pre-nursing program at Grand Rapids Community College before coming to the realization that education was her true calling and that Davenport University was the place for her.

“Some people think transferring from one school to another can be painful, but it was a smooth process for me,” said Swan. “I completed the paperwork online and emailed an advisor with questions, and everything was pretty seamless from there. The next thing I knew, I received my acceptance packet in the mail, and it was official!”

Swan said Wiggins was a big help during the transfer process to Davenport and its Urban Education program. She also remembers the day she was introduced to College of Urban Education Associate Department Chair Meaghan Polega, EdD.

“Meaghan was amazing and one of the biggest reasons I came to Davenport,” said Swan. “She helped me secure a field site and create a resume, and I even used her as a job reference. She is such a friendly and familiar face and makes sure we all know she’s rooting for us behind the scenes.”

Swan will graduate in 2025 with a bachelor of science degree in urban STEM education and looks forward to using her degree to work with children as an elementary school teacher.

Aliyah Nowlin knew she wanted to be a nurse after having her tonsils out when she was 16 years old. She remembers how anxious she was prior to surgery and how her compassionate and supportive nurses helped put her at ease. That experience made a lasting impression on Nowlin, and she hopes she can offer that same compassion to her own patients one day.

Nowlin was dual enrolled at Northwestern Michigan College (NMC) during high school and stayed on to study nursing. She chose to transfer to Davenport to take advantage of a partnership with NMC, where she could earn her associate’s degree in nursing and her bachelor’s degree from Davenport.

“The program was accelerated, so I was able to earn my bachelor’s in science and nursing (BSN) in three semesters at a discounted tuition rate, which made a huge difference for me as I have not taken out any student loans,” said Nowlin. “I’m also thrilled to be able to say that I’m the program’s first graduate!”

Nowlin credits Zach Whitaker, Davenport’s Traverse City campus director, for making the transition from NMC a breeze.

“Zach graciously spent hours on the phone with me, answering every question I had about the partnership program and registered me for all of the courses I needed,” said Nowlin. “He also made it clear that he was available to answer any of my questions and never made me feel like I was an inconvenience. I truly believe he made all the difference for me in this program.”

Nowlin received her BSN in April and plans to pursue a master’s in science and nursing degree this fall.

Click here to read more of Nowlin’s story.

Rana Abdelqader received her associate degree in early childhood education from Grand Rapids Community College and chose to continue her studies at Davenport because of its reputation as a great school and its urban elementary education program.

“What attracted me to Davenport is that it’s a school that focuses on preparing students for their careers,” said Abdelqader. “Also, the fact that I could take most of my classes online was a big selling point because I also work full-time.”

“Being a teacher and working with children isn’t just about seeing them grow and learn; it’s also about seeing growth in yourself as a person,” said Abdelqader. “ Helping children will also make me feel proud of myself as I hope to be a good role model for my future students to look up to,” she said.

Abdelqader hopes to graduate in May 2026 with a bachelor’s degree in urban elementary education and looks forward to working as a first-grade teacher and giving back to her community in her free time.