Nursing shortage triggers changes, Davenport University responds with flexibility

Nationwide, there’s a shortage of healthcare professionals, and that need is expected to grow. Davenport University is addressing the talent gap head on making now the best time to seek a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.

The Registered Nursing (RN) workforce is expected to grow by 6% over the next decade, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Employment Projections 2021-2031. The Bureau projects more than 200,000 openings for RNs each year through 2031. The profession offers plenty of employment opportunities, job security and a plethora of specialty areas to explore.

“At Davenport, accepted students start within the nursing program their first year, without the hurdles of general education requirements often found at other universities,” said Amy Stahley, dean of the College of Health Professionals at Davenport. “Upon graduation, our last cohort of nurses had a 100% employment rate.”

Davenport offers small class sizes, state-of-the-art simulation labs, and plenty of clinical opportunities in everything from the operating room to critical care to nursing leadership. The university also offers clinical care earlier than other programs, which assures graduates will find employment. Graduates of Davenport’s nursing program find hands-on learning and real-life experience work together to prepare them for a successful nursing career.

Experience

Ala-Ambong Lem grew up in Cameroon, West Africa, and moved to Kalamazoo in 2015 with her husband and three children and heavily pregnant with her fourth child. She secured a license and worked as a nurse’s aide for seven years, which served as a pathway for pursuing a degree in nursing. Lem enrolled as a freshman with a Nursing focus at Kalamazoo Valley Community College in a concurrent program with Davenport University, graduating with an associate degree in nursing in May 2022 and a bachelor’s degree in nursing in April 2023.

“Taking online classes, especially during Covid, was really difficult for someone like me without a computer background,” said Lem. “It was pretty rough, but I had instructors and classmates there to help me navigate. Each time I needed them, they were there to help me out.”

Lem’s now a registered nurse at Friendship Village nursing home and Ascension Borgess Behavioral Health.

“Davenport has a great program,” said Lem. “All you’ve got to do is stay consistent and reach out for help when needed. The instructors are there to help you.”

Mariah Guzman was a married, 29-year-old, first generation student with two young daughters – and now she’s a nurse. Guzman graduated from Davenport University in December with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. She works at a local hospital in psychiatric nursing. Guzman’s biggest takeaway from her time at Davenport is everyone is more than their circumstances. She credits the university with giving her a solid support system to help her believe in herself and achieve her goals.

“Initially, I never thought I’d be a nurse. I had a tough upbringing. I never thought I’d go to college,” Guzman said.

“A lot of people go through hard times and things that beat you down. Davenport helped me learn that believing and dreaming and working toward your goals will get you there. Whatever you set your mind to, you can do it and don’t let anyone stop you.”

Guzman grew up in Grand Rapids, but every holiday and school break she spent time in Texas with her great grandmother.

“My great grandmother had wanted to be a nurse but it was the 1920s. Her Dad did not allow it. She always instilled the need in us. I remember her saying, ‘I want a nurse in the family’,” Guzman shared. “After I had my children, I felt I needed to do more for them, for myself. I thought of her when I went back to school.”

Guzman’s great grandmother was a seamstress by trade, but dedicated herself to helping others through holistic care, doling out medicinal home remedies and lymphatic massages to those in need in her small town in Texas. “Everyone knew everyone, and people would just go to my grandmother,” said Guzman.

In December, “I went through and fulfilled my great grandmother’s dreams. It was a full circle moment,” said Guzman. “This journey has been exceptionally spiritual and I am so grateful to all of the Davenport Nursing professors for helping me through it.”

Enrollment

Students who are accepted into Davenport’s BSN program are guaranteed a seat, without delays or waiting lists, and scholarships are available through all Davenport campuses for between $5,700 and $8,000, per year. Best of all, full-time students are able to complete the program in four years. At each step, students learn from expert-level nurse educators and benefit from dedicated mentoring. Davenport’s BSN program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. Fall semester 2024 is filling fast but spaces remain available.

Interested candidates are encouraged to visit here for more information.

Comments

No Responses