A new way to amplify your skills and earning potential
Certificates are becoming increasingly popular as a quick way to expand your career options. Specialized certificates can be earned in a variety of subjects at major universities, community colleges, and even some major corporations, giving students quick, immersive exposure to pivotal content and skills to land the next step in their career.
SO WHAT ARE CERTIFICATES AND HOW DO THEY WORK?
There are several types of certificates, from academic to professional. However, those most likely to change your career projections fall into the academic certificate category. Academic certificates can be applied to an associate, bachelor’s, or master’s degree program. These certificates are designed to give you a leg up in the job market while also establishing building blocks for your next educational goal or career move. They also offer students an opportunity to earn in-depth training in a specific area providing industry credibility and job search advantages. In February, Davenport introduced pre-bachelor stackable certificates as a pathway to associate and bachelor’s degrees in:
- Cyber Defense and Security
- Computer Information Systems
- Networking Technology
Students who choose to get a stackable undergraduate degree can take the certificate and get a job right away. They can also use the certificate and reduce the time to complete their next degree.
In addition, Davenport offers graduate certificates providing advanced skills in:
- Accounting and Financial Analysis
- Business Essentials
- Data Mining and Visualization
- Human Resource Management
- Leadership Strategies
- Managerial Accounting
- Sales Leadership
- Strategic Management
- Health Care Management
- Data Analytics
- Predictive Analytics and Visualization
- Urban Education
- Urban Educational Leadership
For example, Davenport’s urban education graduate certificate allows you to receive an interim teaching certificate to teach in Michigan schools while you fulfill credential requirements.
As of January 2021, the unemployment rate in Michigan was 6.9% and, nationwide, 7.9%. It can be argued that there’s an urgent need for job applicants to differentiate themselves — quickly — in order to land their next position. Advanced training and specialization are becoming more and more desirable to those already established in the workforce. “Stacking” these sometimes necessary certificates with other course criteria can help a person move more quickly toward securing an advanced degree.
MERITS OF CERTIFICATION
It’s important to evaluate the value of certification and its impact on your personal career or the benefits to your workforce. For individuals, certificates can offer:
- Professional growth Career advancement often requires a willingness to learn. Additional education is also a way to explore a new career path before fully committing to a second degree.
- Salary With few exceptions, each additional certification or degree earned will result in a salary increase.
- Job search Everyone is looking for a leg up in a competitive job market. Additional education will add distinction over other applicants and demonstrate dedication to advancing in a chosen field.
Employers can also benefit by hiring and supporting employees with stackable certifications. Consider:
- Job essentials With technology constantly evolving, the need for advanced training increases. Businesses can benefit from having subject matter experts to share knowledge on new or updated practices.
- Workforce retention It often makes the most sense to invest in current employees rather than recruiting from outside the organization, helping increase loyalty and morale.
- High-talent recruitment High-quality, skilled talent is likely to seek out employers that value and invest in their employees.
In addition to academic certificates, including stackable pre-bachelor certificates, Davenport offers post-baccalaureate, graduate, and postgraduate certificates.
LEARN MORE BY VISITING DAVENPORT.EDU/CERTIFICATES