(Grand Rapids, Mich. – August 14, 2020) – Davenport University, through its Institute for Professional Excellence, is launching a series of virtual short courses designed to help professionals improve their business skills to meet the needs of an ever-changing workplace.
The virtual short courses span several topics related to business management, leadership, communications, and cultural intelligence/inclusion.
“Our mission is to be a resource for business professionals as our economy rebuilds,” said Daniel Rundhaug, Davenport University executive director, IPEx. “COVID-19 has thrust us into an all-new business environment and many individuals are exploring new paths. Short, virtual courses are an economical and flexible way to build toward a new career.”
Michigan has experienced record unemployment numbers since the pandemic struck, making the job market more and more competitive. It is essential for employees to differentiate themselves from their colleagues and in some cases, explore new career paths.
Each course is 90 minutes long, and costs $35. Students can bundle three courses together for $75, a $30 savings. The courses include:
- Thought-provoking content and interactive skill-building activities
- A highly participative facilitator-led session
- Digital resources for post-course use
- Participant guides with action steps and takeaways
In addition to professional development offerings, Davenport University has launched a new scholarship program to support those individuals unemployed, laid-off or furloughed because of COVID-19. The Launch Scholarship provides up to $8,000 per year for up to 4 years of education.
The Launch Scholarship will support those unemployed, laid-off or furloughed on or after March 1, 2020 and are looking to earn a graduate degree, finish a bachelor’s degree or take additional professional development programs to enhance their skills.
Davenport University President, Dr. Richard J. Pappas, said “We stand ready to provide the degree programs, professional development, and career services to help those individuals impacted quickly take the next step in their education and career.”
The virtual short course professional development class offerings include:
Business management courses:
- First impressions – Do they matter?
- Seven words that can kill change
- “US vs US – Unifying or divisive?
- The leadership spectrum
- Leading a values-based organization
- Lifting your leadership lid
- Effective communication for uncertain times
- Mastering the difficult conversation
- Outstanding customer service – Seize the moment
Cultural intelligence courses:
- Developing a global mindset
- Understanding culture to promote inclusion
- Inclusive leadership
The IPEx virtual short course list, schedule and registration instructions can be found at davenport.edu/short-courses.