Mallory Teunissen, Ryann Deuel and Ashley VanderHorst represent DU’s Chi Alpha Sigma class of 2019
The Davenport University Department of Athletics hosted its inaugural Chi Alpha Sigma induction ceremony on April 18. The induction ceremony and celebratory dinner was held at FireRock Grille in Caledonia, Michigan. Ashley VanderHorst, Ryann Deuel and Mallory Teunissen were honored during the event.
Chi Alpha Sigma is a national honor society for college athletes. It is the first nonprofit organization established to honor student-athletes who excel on and off the field or court. Once inducted, Chi Alpha Sigma members can benefit from their connection with the fraternal association for a lifetime.
The criteria for induction to Chi Alpha Sigma requires that the student-athlete attends a four-year accredited college or university that is a member of the NCAA or NAIA. The honoree also must achieve at least senior academic standing as determined by the certifying institution and a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.4 on a 4.0 scale. All three of this year’s inductees have a GPA of 3.9 or better.
Chi Alpha Sigma Class of 2019
Ashley VanderHorst, Women’s Volleyball
- Ranks second in DU history with 412 block assists and 452 total blocks
- Ranks sixth in DU history with 1,024 kills and a .242 attack percentage
- One of four to play in all 114 sets and 31 matches this season
- Led the team with 402.5 points and 31 service aces
- Registered 291 kills and a .307 attack percentage
- Named to the GLIAC All-Academic Excellence Team
- Named GLIAC Blocker of the Year and All-GLIAC First Team
- Named to the D2CCA All-Midwest Region Second Team
Ryann Deuel, Women’s Lacrosse
- All-time leader at DU with 287 draw controls
- Has 36 goals so far this season, ranking eighth in the GLIAC
- Has totaled 87 shots, ranking fifth in the GLIAC
- Has totaled 63 shots on goal, ranking fourth in the conference
- Ranks ninth in the GLIAC with 59 draw controls
Mallory Teunissen, Softball
- Ranks third all-time at DU with 79 wins, 667.1 innings pitched, 634 strikeouts and a 1.99 earned run average
- Ranks second all-time at DU with 26 shutouts
- Currently ranks third in the GLIAC with 14 wins and fourth in complete games with 15 and second in shutouts with 4
- Pitched 17.2 innings and struck out 114 batters, ranking third in the league
Congratulations to the Chi Alpha Sigma class of 2019.