Alumni Success Story: Brett Mayer, ’16

Brett Mayer, ‘16, wants to be remembered as always doing the right thing and leaving an imprint wherever he goes. Read more about Brett’s story:

Tell us about yourself.
I graduated from DU in 2016 with my BBA in Sport Management. I had an interest in the business side of the sports world. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes that people don’t even realize! After graduation, I started working for the University of Detroit as a ticket intern in the athletic office. Shortly after working there St. Clair County Community College offered me a position in the Athletic Department where I did my internship. It was part-time but quickly grew into a full-time position.

What do you do for your job?
I am the fieldhouse and game day operations manager. We have a brand new field house that we recently opened. The facility has a main court and three side courts, a fitness center and six locker rooms. The students are allowed access to the whole building. I have them fill out waivers and sign them in. There is a long list of duties that fall under my job responsibilities: I coordinate outside events, all of the game day events, I handle the ticket sales, the promotions calendar, the game worker employees, and all mascot appearances.

When and why sports management?
I went to college out of high school and I don’t know if I was ready for the college life. I went to a private school down in Florida and it was really hard academically and I didn’t want to pay that kind of money for C’s. I came back home, worked for a while and took random classes at a community college. It wasn’t until I was 24 when I realized I needed a degree to reach the goals that I wanted. Sports management always interested me, so I googled it and saw it was offered at DU. I was taking classes within a few months!

What is your dream job?
I’d love to be an athletic director, possibly at the D1 level, but I have a long way to go!

Do you have any hobbies?
I spend a lot of my free time with my fiance, our dog, watching movies and playing golf. Usually, anything outdoors for me is a great time. Not surprisingly, most of my favorite movies are sports related.  Moneyball is a top pick.