Alumni Success Story: Kate Gadbois, ’12

As a child, Kate’s family repeatedly told her she should be an attorney due to her exceptional ability to argue. At first, the length of schooling required turned her off. But thanks to her incredible professors and experience in DU’s paralegal program, Kate graduated in 2012 and went on to pursue her law degree. Now, she is working as an Associate Attorney with Kreis, Enderle, Hudgins & Borsos, P.C, specializing in corporate & business law and estate planning & probate. Learn more about Kate and her journey below.

Tell us about yourself!

I was born and raised in Grand Rapids. My family, mainly my mother, told me many times that I should be an attorney (apparently this suggestion came about because I mastered the talent of arguing at a young age).  Being an attorney sounded great, but the amount of schooling required deterred me.  After high school, I wasn’t sure what career path I wanted to pursue.  When I came to Davenport, one of my first classes was Introduction to Paralegal Studies, taught by Barb Craft.  The very first day of this class, I knew that the legal field was where I was meant to be.  I also knew that, after obtaining a bachelor’s degree, I would attend law school and become an attorney.  I graduated from Davenport in December of 2012 and started law school in January of 2013.  I am now living in Portage, working as an Associate Attorney with Kreis, Enderle, Hudgins & Borsos, P.C., a full-service law firm with four West Michigan locations in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, St. Joe, and Battle Creek.

Why did you pick Davenport? 

I picked Davenport because of its great reputation, small class sizes, experienced professors, hands-on practical opportunities, and its location.

As a graduate of DU, when you think of your experience what comes to mind?

The first thing that comes to mind: the amazing professors.  The legal professors were incredibly experienced, which to me, was invaluable.  Each specific story shared by a professor was memorable (and even better if also humorous) and these stories certainly helped me retain the concepts behind the stories.  My legal professors are not the only professors that come to mind. My accounting professor, Grant Lee, went above and beyond.  I have never had a professor who truly cared about their students in the obvious way Professor Lee cares about his.  Accounting was definitely not my strong suit (which is a fairly common joke among lawyers and their math-related skills), but Professor Lee made a world of difference.  I didn’t ace his class, but I made it through with a much better outcome than anticipated because of Professor Lee’s investment and encouragement.  I am confident that Professor Lee has positively influenced a large majority of his students, and I am grateful that I had him as my accounting professor.

In a nutshell, what do you do?

My main practice areas are corporate & business law and estate planning & probate.  I listen, analyze, strategize, anticipate potential issues and/or help guide clients through situations they may find themselves in, negotiate, counsel, and assist clients in achieving their goals.  I handle any and all business needs for any size or type of business. Whether it’s forming an entity; drafting, reviewing, or negotiating various types of contracts or forms; assisting with the purchase or sale of assets; acquiring companies, real estate, and everything in between; compliance; restructuring; succession planning; and any other business-related need.

Estate plans are essential for individuals and business owners. I assist clients in determining and addressing their specific needs, the needs of their family, and the future of the companies that they worked so hard to build.  This part of my job is rewarding because I am able to give my clients the peace of mind that they have taken the appropriate steps for their family and that their wishes will be followed.

What is your biggest accomplishment?

At this point in my life, I have to say that my biggest accomplishments include graduating, cum laude, from law school, passing the bar exam, and working, as an Associate Attorney, with Kreis Enderle – the firm I knew I wanted to be a part of a few years ago.

What is your dream job?

This is exactly what I want to be doing.  I love my career and the firm I am a part of.  Kreis Enderle is a great size law firm with exceptionally bright and experienced attorneys in each area of the law.  I could not ask for a better group of people to work with.  I worked in our Grand Rapids office, as an extern during law school, and I knew then that I would love to end up working, as an Attorney, with Kreis Enderle.

What is the best advice you’ve ever received?

Positive thinking can have an enormous influence on your life – it’s a powerful tool that we all have the ability to control.  It is so beneficial to regularly think about the things in your life that you are thankful for; even more so when you find yourself in a frustrating situation.

Some additional good advice: be thankful for what you have & keep working for what you want tomorrow.

What are you are you passionate about?

I am passionate about and fascinated by the law.  I am passionate about helping people.  It is also probably safe to say that I am also passionate about animals.  If I see a stray animal, there’s no doubt I am stopping to try to help – I’ve done so too many times to count.  I’d want someone to do the same if it were my dog running loose in the street!

What do you do when you are not working?

I am still fairly new to the Kalamazoo area so a lot of my free time is spent exploring all that my new city has to offer, especially the restaurants!  I am looking forward to checking out the local farmers markets next summer.  Community involvement is very important to me.  I attend as many events as possible and I recently became a Board Member of Glass Art Kalamazoo!