Alumni Success Story – Guy Davis ’92

Guy Davis ‘92 has spent his entire career in claims at Farmers Insurance. “Claims has given me the opportunity to help people all around our country. The work is extremely challenging but there is a great sense of accomplishment and service when you help someone begin to rebuild after a life altering event.” Guy will be featured in the next issue of the DU Review magazine, but in the meantime learn more about Guy and his role as the Liability Branch Claims Manager below.

Tell us about yourself, Guy!

I am a husband and a father of three. My wife, Shelly, and I celebrated our twenty fourth wedding anniversary on October 10th. Yes, we met at Davenport! We spend much of our time at our children’s various activities. Hailie, a freshman at DU is a violinist for the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony, Camden a junior at Caledonia High School, is a percussionist with the marching band as well as a percussion team “Strike Percussion Ensemble,” and Maddie, is a sophomore at Caledonia High School, plays soccer for Cal and a club team. I also enjoy fishing and hunting, football (“Go Blue”), and futbol (“Go Man U!”) and spending time with family and friends.

How did you get started at Farmers?

I was working part-time right out of college and one of my friends, who was working for Farmers at the time, mentioned that they were looking for claim representatives.  I applied, interviewed and was fortunate to be selected all those years ago.  I’ve worked here for more than 20 years.

What do you do in a nutshell?

I’ve spent my entire career in claims and don’t know how those 20+ years went by so quickly. Claims has given me the opportunity to help people all around our country.  The work is extremely challenging but there is a great sense of accomplishment and service when you help someone begin to rebuild after a life altering event. Currently, I manage the Farmers Specialty Bodily Injury team.  We are an inside operation responsible for all 50 states and all claims, homeowners or landlord, written by Foremost Insurance Company. I work with a great group of people who share my passion to help others and philosophy that “We will be there when our customers need us.”

When you started at DU where you already interested in the field of insurance?

Short answer, no.  I wanted to see and experience many of the different programs that Davenport had to offer.

Do you feel like Davenport helped you land your role at Farmers?

Yes, they helped me prepare for the business world I was entering.  The professors helped me with business acumen, how to look at situations from various view points or perspectives, and how to collaborate with others.

You’re a DU alum – any family members who have attended as well? How have you seen the University change since you attended?

I have a cousin who studied accounting, a nephew who studied business and played rugby, and my daughter Hailie is currently in the nursing program. Davenport has changed in many ways including campus locations, student make-up, athletics, and most importantly the expanded curriculum. Davenport has embraced change and that’s exciting because the needs of its students, the community, and the businesses tied to its curriculum are always evolving and Davenport is adapting to those needs.

What would you share with someone considering a career in the insurance sector and particularly about Farmers as an employer?

It’s a company with so many different career choices. Here you have the opportunity to take on a new challenge or career and even the opportunity to travel to different parts of the country.